Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Chapter 4

Ok so I know I meant to come home Friday and blog about my wonderful, inspiring, fun and exciting day volunteering in a local school library. But truth be told I was just too exhausted! But better late then never. Here goes -

I was so excited to finally get into a school library to see what a TL does within the course of their day (and also pick up information to write about in assignments). I learnt about accessioning, cataloguing, how to put information into OASIS, how to loan and return items, about SCIS, about a program to share televisions programs between schools and much more. The TL and his sidekick are going to train me from the basic up .

Throughout the course of the day I helped pick out books for a Year 8 English class studying fantasy and science fiction. I returned books to shelves and learnt that I really do need to revisit my ABCs.

But perhaps the best part of the day was the conversation I had with the TL about how times have changed in the school library with the increasing use of digital media, the impact of the little laptops, the impact of computer classrooms and the positioning of the library within the school.
He has essentially taken on more of an IT role within the school as a result and the TSO (technology support officer) is located in the library as well.

I learnt so much in one day and it made me believe that all the stress, late nights, lost sleep and panic attacks as assignments get done will be worth it in the end.

That's all for now
Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment