Thursday, July 29, 2010

Chapter 2

So I am feeling a little overwhelmed this week with all the work to do. I really need to catch up on my readings for both courses and actually take in what is being said in each.

At this stage I haven't really advanced my understanding of the role of the TL. Although it is making me question the role each TL plays in individual schools. For example, I taught casually at a school this week. During the lunch-break I thought I would use the time to 'network' with the TL. This took all of two minutes and consisted of 'hi' and not much else. It seemed as though this TL really couldn't care less about networking. I did find out as part of the conversation that he graduated as a TL sometime in the 80's so I am unsure as to whether his training affects his attidudes (and he has had little professional development since) or whether he has been moulded to the stereotypical image of what a TL does.

After reading bits and pieces of the readings for Module 2 I am starting to understand the vital role a principal plays in the development of a school library program. When I do find employment as a TL in the future I will be making sure that as my supervisor the principal has regular meetings with me to ensure that the library and I are effectively contributing to student learning. As much as I thought the role was about the stereotype of the TL upon learning more I want to change people's perceptions and make a visible contribution to the school. I don't want to become invisible or bored. I will make sure that I regularly attend school meetings whether they be staff meetings, P&C meetings, literacy meetings, etc. Perhaps I might even start a school library meeting with a member of each faculty to attend (even if I have to bribe them with cake!).

Today I contacted a local school with the intention of asking to undertake some volunteer work in the library. I spoke to the TL who is keen for the idea. Although much more of a talker than before said TL, again I was presented with the similar information - graduated in '84 and is not up-to-date on the latest research affecting TLs. I will meet with him next week at the school and spend the day watching and learning. (I currently have no experience in a school library and some experience would look good on my CV). Hopefully I will have more of a view on the role and responsibilities of the TL next week as well as skills in using the technology and programs in the library.

On this note I think I will stop as my brain is fuzzy with information. However one thing I have learnt today is not to use the nice bottle of Verdelho your mother is currently drinking to cook with because it may get you into trouble.

Goodnight all.

2 comments:

  1. It's sad that you're having such a 'negative' experience. So many of these posts are making me aware of just how lucky our school is! Our TL is very much involved in the school, and if anything, I think she sometimes wishes she could be a little less approachable! She is involved on so many committees both in the school and in the community and she definitely attends staff meetings, development days, etc. I wonder if this is a difference between states (not sure where you are) or if it really is that we are so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in NSW. I have been back to the school this week and found out the TL did a presentation earlier last term about information skills. But it still doesn't sound like the TL is actively involved in student learning.

    ReplyDelete